“What makes the Huysmanhoeve building so special is the arch at the entrance. It has been there since the 13th century and reflects its role as the true gateway to Meetjesland,” explains Stephanie Paridaen from the rural hub Plattelandscentrum Meetjesland, in charge of the regional centre for the province of East Flanders. The Huysmanhoeve is an old farmstead that dates back to the 13th century, when the grounds were owned by Johanna van Constantinopel, the countess of Flanders. It was sold to the monastery and later leased to the townspeople. From 1736 until 1996, it was leased by the Huysman family. From then on it was owned by the province of East Flanders to serve as the regional centre.”