The Woudagemaal represents the renowned reputation the Dutch have in water management. Opened in 1920 by Queen Wilhelmina, the steam pumping station was once a crucial tool in Friesland’s water-rich lands, offering a solution when the draining of water became increasingly problematical by the lowering of the peat ground. Since the construction of electric pumping stations in 1969, it is pumping less frequently, but still plays an important role when waters in Friesland reach dangerously high levels.