The Royal Dutch Delftware Manufactory Royal Delft, established in 1653, is the only remaining Delftware factory from the 17th century. Here, the world-renowned Royal Delftware is still entirely hand painted according to centuries-old tradition. “The fascination of the Dutch with earthen- ware started in the 17th century, when tradesmen with the Dutch East India Company brought back large quantities of Chinese porcelain,” explains Helen Taylor, PR and communications officer at Royal Delft. “This type of porcelain, which was decorated in blue on a white background, became massively popular among the Dutch.”