The restaurant is a true family business, with four generations making De Fijnproever what it is today. It was founded in 1907, back then named Au Port because it was located next to a harbour, but when the port gradually disappeared the name of the restaurant changed to De Fijnproever. In 1922, it became a simple mussel eatery. The interior was straight-forward: rows consisting of long wooden tables without table cloths. The menu was just as simple: raw or cooked mussels, steak and fried eel. Fourth-generation owner GerbenWiskerke and his wife Jurgita Wiskerke have developed the restaurant to what it is today:a warm and welcoming place where one can enjoy the best local products.